Following postdoctoral research in Germany, Professor Gabrielle McMullen joined the Department of Biochemistry at Monash University and also became Dean of its Catholic residence, Mannix College, in 1981. She was then Rector of Australian Catholic University’s (ACU) Ballarat campus from 1995-2000 and its Pro- and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) until February 2011. In July 2011 she was appointed a Trustee of Mary Aikenhead Ministries, which was established by Sisters of Charity of Australia in 2009 to continue their health and aged care, education and social service ministries.
Professor McMullen is a member of the Council of the University of Divinity and also of the Council of the Divine Word University in Madang, Papua New Guinea. Her other community contributions have encompassed membership of education, health, theological and community services boards. A member of the Australian Catholic Council for Pastoral Research, her personal research interests include Catholic identity and mission, and the history of science.
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute (Fellow)
- Divine Word University Council, Papua New Guinea (Member)
- Australian Catholic Council for Pastoral Research (Chair)
- Australian Association of von Humboldt Fellows (President)
- Diocese of Sale Catholic Education Ltd Board (Chair)
- Missionary Sisters of Service Stewardship Council (Member)
- Opening The Doors Foundation (Trustee)