Mark Jennings is Senior Lecturer in Religious Studies at Wollaston Theological College in Perth, Western Australia, and the Continuing Education Coordinator for the Anglican Diocese of Perth.
Mark completed the Bachelor of Theology at Tabor College in Perth, and then finished off the BTheol at Murdoch University, gaining First Class Honours in New Testament under the supervision of Professor William Loader. Mark completed their PhD in 2010 at Murdoch University. Mark’s first monograph, based on their doctoral dissertation, was published under the title Exaltation: Ecstatic Experience in Pentecostalism and Popular Music (2014, Peter Lang). Recently, Mark has undertaken qualitative research exploring LGBTQ+ experiences of Australian Pentecostalism. A monograph based on this research, entitled Happy: LGBTQ+ experiences of Australian Pentecostal-Charismatic Christianity in 2021, is currently being reviewed for publication by Brill.
Mark teaches in the area of Religious Studies, particularly Religion in Australian Society. Mark has also coordinated units in Human Rights and Faith, Introduction to the New Testament, and Introduction to Christian Doctrine. As part of their role as Continuing Education Coordinator for the Anglican Diocese of Perth, Mark coordinates the Wollaston Certificate in Theology, a sub-tertiary theology certificate for those seeking to deepen their theological understanding and Biblical literacy. They also teach in the Wollaston Certificate for Anglican Leadership, which is for educators in Anglican schools seeking executive and senior positions.
Mark have been interviewed on a number of occasions for both radio and newspapers (many more times since Scott Morrison became the first Pentecostal Australian Prime Minister!), and has been quoted in Australian newspapers and other publications such as The Guardian, The Herald-Sun, and The Monthly. In addition, Mark has written expert pieces on Pentecostalism, the Israel Folau case, university education, and LGBTQ+ people and faith for The Conversation, ABC Religion and Ethics, and Eureka Street.
Mark is also involved in the Anglican Formation programme at Wollaston Theological College, and coordinates the Training in Ministry programme for recently ordained Anglican ministers. In addition, Mark presents teaching sessions for local parishes and churches throughout Perth.
- 2021 University of Divinity Research Conference – Presentation title: Adiaphora: The Israel Folau case, heterodoxy, and heterosexuality in conservative Australian Christianity
- 2021 ANZATS conference – Presentation title: Adiaphora: On the Israel Folau Case, Heterodoxy, and Heterosexuality in Conservative Australian Christianity (Location: Perth)
- 2021 Sociology in the West – Presentation title: The Battleground: “orthodox sexual desire” and discursive conflict between LGBTQ+ people and Pentecostal-Charismatic Churches in Australia (Location: University of Western Australia, Perth)
In the media
Accredited teaching disciplines
- Anglican Diocese of Perth (Continuing Education Coordinator)
- Wollaston Theological College (Lecturer in Religious Studies)